Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Spice it up, Herb!

New Reasons to Season: Spices and Herbs are Surprisingly Rich in Antioxidants, on Par With Many Fruits and Vegetables

Seven 'Super Spices' Deliver Big on Both Flavor and Function

HUNT VALLEY, Md., April 14 /PRNewswire/ -- When you hear the word "antioxidants" mentioned, what foods immediately come to mind? Blueberries? Pomegranates? How about cinnamon?

That's right, when it comes to antioxidant prowess, just one teaspoon of cinnamon vies for top billing along with a half cup of blueberries and one cup of pomegranate juice. Surprising to some, spices and herbs are extremely rich in antioxidants -- with levels comparable to many fruits and vegetables, including today's popular "super foods."

For more on this, see:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=ind_focus.story&STORY=/www/story/04-14-2008/0004791789&EDATE=MON+Apr+14+2008,+08:00+AM2008/0004791789&EDATE=MON+Apr+14+2008,+08:00+AM

My thumb is nowhere near green, yet I love growing herbs and spices. If I can do it, you certainly can. Try your kitchen windowsill -- the smell of growing mint or rosemary will make you smile. Basil is easy, mint is a weed, oregano is forgiving and parsley doesn't hate me.

Here's some photos of my herbs. Three points each if you can identify them:



(Okay, that's not an herb, that's my dog, Roxie.)

Send your herb-acious photos (and your dogs and cats) and any experience, tricks, raves or woes about growing herbs.

3 comments:

Red said...

The first one is basil, right? My parents have one on the side of the house that's waist high.

Anonymous said...

we have a winner - no more calls. You are right about the basil. Congratulation, you win a homegrown tomato. Come and collect in person or tell me where to ship it.

Anonymous said...

I happen to know Red's tomato sauce is competiton-worthy. I wonder what it would taste like made of homegrown tomatoes.... Mmmmm.