Thursday, May 1, 2008

Oil Change

Have you been using olive oil only for food? Tsk-tsk - great-grandma knew better.

Sure there are health benefits to actually eating the stuff, but, depending on how interested you are, there are seven uses, 10 uses or 25 uses for oilve oil that don't involve food at all.

My favorite is a tie - the de-frizz applications for hair (which is somewhat hard to do evenly, I'll admit) and the foot-softening if you spread olive oil on your feet (and put socks on) before going to bed.

What's your favorite non-food use for olive oil?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite non-food use: After I wipe out the excess olive oil from a fry pan with a paper towel, I use that paper towel to dap my neck, shoulders, elbows, anything that needs a moisture hit. Something about the warmth of the oil (be careful it isn't still hot)makes it sink into my skin and doesn't feel greasy.

Melissa said...

When we were little, my siblings had mice, guines pigs, hamsters, and pretty much anything that ran on a wheel and lived in a glass aquarium. Well, over time the wheels squeaked, especially at night when we were trying to sleep. So, we put olive oil on q-tips and rubbed it on the wheel. After a day or two, the rodents would lick all the oil off and we'd have to reapply. The oil was edible (unlike WD -40 and the like) so no harm done to the little pets and no noise for a period.

Great-Grandmother's Shopping List said...

Denise: Genius!

Melissa: Genius, again! Plus, those critters may have had more lush fur as a bonus.